How to Apply Work Permit for Confinement Nanny
Hiring a freelance confinement nanny by yourself but don’t know how to apply work permit for confinement nanny through MOM government website? You can follow our step by step guide on how to apply for confinement nanny work permit online to work in Singapore by yourself without agency.
A valid MOM work permit is required for Malaysian nanny in order for her to work for you legally in Singapore as your confinement lady. There is an eligibility criteria requirement for all SG work permit application. Make sure you have checked, eligible and qualified before you make a request for the work permit application. Each SG work permit application fee is non-refundable S$35 regardless of the approval or success outcome of confinement nanny permit.
Step by Step Guide for Confinement Nanny Work Permit Application:
Step 1: Eligibility Criteria Checklist.
- Employer must fulfill the following :
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must not be an undischarged bankrupt.
- Must be Singaporean/PR/Employment Pass Holder.
- Newborn baby is below 16 weeks or 4 months old.
- Able to pay levy fees. MOM levy rate is S$1.98 daily (around S$60 a month if newborn is Singapore Citizen) or S$9.87 daily (around S$300 a month if newborn is non-Singapore Citizen)
- Confinement nanny must fulfill the following:
- Malaysian lady.
- Age is between 23 years to 70 years old.
- Work at your residence only.
- Bounded by basic Singapore work permit conditions.
Step 2: Get Written Consent and All Details for Admin.
Before you apply for confinement nanny permit, please get a written consent from your confinement lady first. This is to protect the interests of both parties in case there is any dispute. There is no need for you to search for sample on mom letter of consent as there is no particular format requirement. Any written document, so long it is not a verbal consent, showing nanny agreement to be employed by you, as the employer can be considered as written consent. It can be a form of signed employment contract between you and nanny.
As there is a limited time frame when logging in to apply the permit, it is advisable to prepare and get ready all the necessary details on your nanny, yourself and your spouse. Here are the mandatory particular details required by the Controller of Work Passes from MOM, Ministry of Manpower:
Confinement Nanny Particulars
Employer and Spouse
Step 3: Check Confinement Nanny Current Employment Status
- Check if your confinement lady is currently employed by another family.
- The system will not allow you to continue the application for your confinement lady if she has an existing valid permit or if there is any pending application for her at the time of your application.
- You can only apply after her current permit expired, cancelled or not in employment.
- Sometimes her previous employer has ended her service early and the confinement lady has left Singapore.
- However, her previous employer has forgot to cancel the permit.
- Therefore you can advise the nanny to ask her previous employer to cancel the permit. This not only allow you to start the application but also helps her to save on the levy fees since the levy is chargeable daily until the service expired or cancelled.
- Otherwise you have to wait until the nanny’s employment ends or look for another confinement nanny.
Step 4: Apply for Confinement Nanny Work Permit Online Indirectly.
You can apply the work permit for confinement nanny either indirectly through MOM’s website as shown below or you can skip to Step 5 to apply directly at MOM Work Permit Portal. There is good resources and information on work permit that you can learn from MOM website. The procedure in Step 4 will lead you to Step 5 eventually.
- Go to https://www.mom.gov.sg/
- Click on “Work Passes and Permits” to expand the options.
- Click on “Work Permit for confinement nanny“.
Step 5: Apply for Confinement Nanny Work Permit Online Directly.
You can apply work permit for confinement nanny online directly at MOM Work Permit Portal with the following:
- Go to https://www.mom.gov.sg/eservices/services/work-permit-transactions-for-domestic-helpers-and-confinement-nannies
- “Choose Login with your SingPass” (For Employer)
- Enter your SingPass and Password and click “Login“.
- Enter your SMS OTP for verification purpose and click “Submit” to proceed to next step.
Step 6: Apply for Domestic Helper or Confinement Nanny.
As this is a Work Permit Transactions Portal for domestic helper and confinement nanny, you have to let MOM know which permit application you are applying for. This work permit transaction portal allows eligible employers or employment agencies (EA) to apply, issue, extend, renew, cancel and reinstate a work permit.
Step 8: Confinement Nanny and Employment Details
If you have nanny’s FIN:
- Enter her “FIN” in the field box
- Enter her “Date of Birth”.
- Click “Continue” to proceed.
If you do not have nanny’s FIN:
- Select the option by checking the box “I don’t have her FIN”.
- Enter her “Passport Number”.
- Enter her “Date of Birth”.
- Click “Continue” to proceed.
*Nanny will know her FIN if she has worked in Singapore before and have successfully applied for a work permit previously.
- MOM can auto complete some of the fields in the form for you if your confinement nanny has worked in Singapore before. Otherwise, use the information you have complied in Step 2.
- The Employment Start Date and End Date is subjected to the agreement between you and your confinement nanny in the service agreement.
- If you need fast approval for nanny to start work urgently due to early childbirth, do indicate the employment duration during the work permit application.
- You have to fill up all the required fields otherwise you will not be able to submit the application.
- Please check through all the information you have provided is correct before submitting.
- Otherwise, the system may prompt you to upload documents such as your NRIC, passport, marriage certification or nanny’s identification card etc if there are any discrepancies. Please upload all necessary documents when necessary.
- If the application is successful after submitting, you will be prompted to make S$35 payment electronically.
Step 9: Confinement Nanny Permit Application Acknowledgement and Status
- Once you have made the S$35 payment as the application fees successfully, you will receive an acknowledgement email notice that your application is being processed.
- Your application is subjected to approval.
- The processing time is 1 day up to a week for verification purpose if you have submitted any documents as part of the application.
- You can also log in to service2.mom.gov.sg/workpass at any time to check the status of your application.
Step 10: Confinement Nanny Permit Approval Status
If your nanny permit application is successful, MOM will email you a notice together with 2 permit letters:
- One is issued for yourself, as the employer, detailing your nanny’s employment and your responsibilities.
- The other permit letter is issued for your confinement lady. She have to show it at the immigration any time if required.
- You must comply with all the conditions stated on the letter and the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act, including the conditions and regulatory conditions in the Employment of Foreign Manpower (Work Passes) Regulations 2012.
- Otherwise, MOM will cancel your permit approval, prosecute you and withdraw your permission to employ work permit holders.